Thursday, June 23, 2011

Playing bridge online v/s live

I am in that mood today where I just want to kill the internet, Bridge Base Online - to be precise, because it has killed live bridge. You know, I want to give it a death sentence for killing something else. I know so many players who were good at bridge, but then they started playing online, and it killed their game. This holds particularly for my regular online bridge partner

Lets just consider two situations, first, you are in a live-in with your girl and second, your girl lives a thousand miles away and you regularly video chat with her. Needless to say, the former is like playing live, where you can actually touch the cards. The latter is the equivalent of playing online. To say the obvious, everyone will like to be in the first situation. If you are stuck in the second situation for long, that is if you play online without playing live, you'll end up breaking up with bridge. Such (long-distance) relationships don't last.

Besides, I've noticed that I actually play better when I'm playing live. The best of your skills come out when you are playing live. An example from last week, I used the opponents carding agreement to make an overtrick which wasn't available otherwise. This sound a bit naive to some of the experts around, but this was the first time I used opps' carding to achieve something. I am too casual when I am playing online, and I never did that, ever, when playing online

I was in the same situation some time back. I hadn't played live bridge for two years, and had really started losing interest in it. Thankfully, the love wasn't lost completely and I've started playing at club level on weekends. I'll also take every chance to play zonals/nationals, whatever they call it, whenever possible.

My love is back into my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment